I’ve realized this long time ago… and have the same realization again… just now…
I think one of the hardest challenges of being an auditor is posing confidence amid unexpected circumstances, for instance, during discussions of topics you’ve never encountered before, even if it’s accounting or auditing related.
Regardless of the occasion, be it a formal or an informal client interaction, an auditor is always expected to exude a sense of credibility. Some people are very good at faking it while others just bow their heads down.
Today, I had a meeting with my client’s corporate controller. I’ve been auditing for years and have had lots of interaction with all levels within a company. The difference of today, however, is that I’ve never done a treasury audit before and my meeting is about treasury… never directly dealt with complicated swaps, options, forwards, collars, the list goes on, name it and they have it… I’m very much used to engaging the experts for these kinds of bizarre business… the catch is, there is no turning back, I’m here and I have to do it. I have to ask questions, listen to answers, ask questions again, ask more questions again and again.
So did I succeed and got what I need? ---- yes!... Was I confident? --- yes!
The deal: Of course, I faked it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment